Saturday 23 July 2011

Minerva 2011 Exhibition

Here are some photos from my visit to the Minerva Quilts exhibition in Llanidloes.  Every year they put on a fascinating display of antique and contemporary quilts.

This year there are antique quilts from the collection of DeAnne Hartwell-Jones along with her own quilts inspired by her collection. Contemporary quilts from the Zero3 group and some gorgeous minature quilts by Dorian Walton. Link here


My own favourites are the older Welsh quilts and there are some wonderful wholecloth and pieced examples here.
The colour of the wool in this quilt is stunning. Such a deep and vivid blue. 

This is the design in the centre of the quilt,
A typical Welsh pattern, large leaf shapes.
Another vintage quilt.  It looks like it was made from a collection of fabric samples. 
A close up of some lovely vintage fabrics.
A rather battered Red Cross quilt.
I`m glad I`m not the only one with a collection of battered quilts. This one has had a particularly hard life as you could expect from a wartime quilt. 
It`s interesting the way that the fabric is breaking down and leaving these groups of flowers.
Or giving this lacework effect as the green dyed fabric disintergrates.
Now a couple of American style quilts, the Log Cabin Barn Raising was found in a house in Aberaeron and the Birds In The Air was in fact started in America and pieced on the long voyage back to Wales. The label does say it is a faded red and white quilt but the fabric looks like a double pink to me. 

What do you think?

I`ll post some more pictures of the exhibits shortly.

2 comments:

  1. Just popped over from Quilting Bloggers and am enjoying your lovely blog while hugging the AC-rather warm in Tunisia today, as one might expect. Thanks for showing the lovely old quilts. The purple Welsh one is exquisite. I also have old tattered quilts that I'm slowly repairing/restoring. As they're from my grandmother and I'd like to pass them on to my grandchildren, I figure they need a bit of help to make it.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadia! I love the displays of old quilts that Minerva show each year, I`m not so interested in the contemporary quilts but there were some gorgeous minature quilts that I`ll also post about later.
    I think it`s great that you are giving your grandmother`s quilts a new lease of life. One of my favourite quilts is a hexagon top that my mother made from our old dresses that I found and made into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete