Monday 17 January 2011

New quilt

I recently bought this very striking quilt on eBay.  The design seemed to be very similar to a pair of quilt tops that I bought several years ago.
Quilt top bought several  years ago

Second quilt top bought at the same time
 When I had a chance to examine the new quilt closely,  I could see that there were also similarities in the style of the materials as well.

The quilts seem to be constructed from light weight dress fabrics, I`m not sure of the dates but they look 1920`s in style to me. Could anyone else  help with dates?



The black material that forms such a bold part of the design is also unusual. Some of it has a satin sheen, some is patterned and on each of the pieces there are stamped marks present on the fabric....

Stamped mark (rather faded) on the quilt


<>
Stamped mark on quilt top

I had thought that the quilter had used old wartime blackout material, but it does seem very flimsy and I don`t think that it would be very effective at all.

I also have another, smaller quilt which is very similar and I will try to post pictures when I find it.

Are the quilts all made by the same quilter, maybe someone working in the garment industry using up scraps of fabric?  Or was there a fashion for this style of quilt at the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment